Wednesday, October 26, 2011

A Ballet Bag for my Sweet Girl

I have been wanting to make a ballet bag for Madelyne for over a year now. I mean, seriously... this adorable girl deserves a cute, hand-made ballet bag!

Bend-the-Rules Sewing by Amy Karol was the second sewing book I ever bought. It's a pretty fun book with a lot of ideas and great information for beginning sewers like myself. The "Pleated Beauty Handbag" has always been one of my favorites in the book. I would dream up what it would look like in different fabrics. THIS was the perfect bag! It seemed a little advanced for me (pleats, really?) but I just had to make it!



A fuzzy view of my cut pile... It looked like this for a long time :)

Amy Karol does some embroidery on the front of her bag, but my little girl needed an "M." The "M" was finished months ago. Once I started the project in earnest, it actually came together much faster than I thought it would.

All in all, I'm pleased with the bag. There aren't any puckers and even my hand sewing isn't too shabby. It was a challenge for me, though. There are a lot of steps and I had to read the instructions a hundred times. Apparently I have a lot to learn about sewing jargon!



(I promise to work on my photography. I know it's BAD!)

There are a lot of steps to this bag. I hope that the next one is easier. I'm sure it will be. Practice definitely pays off when it comes to sewing. If only there were one more hour in every day that I could dedicate to sewing... Or maybe two.



The finished product!



Headed to ballet!

No comments:

Post a Comment