Friday, January 20, 2012

Birthday Breakfast

My little guy turned 4 this month. I both can't believe he is four and can't believe he is only just now turning four, all at the same time. How does this happen so quickly?! I swear I can still feel the contractions like it was yesterday! But, on the other hand, he is old and familiar, like he's always been here with me.
There aren't any real birthday traditions in my or my husband's family so I decided to start a birthday breakfast tradition prompted by a pin that I found on Pinterest... Cake Batter Pancakes! Yes! Now these pancakes aren't a regular part of our otherwise very healthy breakfast options, but you only get one birthday a year!
My little guy decided to use his Spider-Man sprinkles that he got from his Grammy for Christmas to make these pancakes extra special. Now my daughter can't wait to personalize her own birthday pancakes when the time comes!



Cake Batter Pancakes
Adapted from Chef-in-Training

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2/3 cup yellow cake mix
1 tablespoon sugar
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
pinch of salt
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1-2 cups milk
2-3 Tbsp assorted sprinkles

Combine flour, cake mix, baking powder, sugar and salt in a bowl and mix. Add 1 cup of milk, egg and vanilla extract and stir until smooth. You want the batter to look like regular pancake batter; not too thin, not too thick. This will vary greatly on the brand of cake mix you use. Start with 1 cup of milk and add more if needed. (I needed more milk to get it to the right consistency.)

Preheat a skillet on medium heat (or an electric grilled and turn it to 250 degrees). Fold desired amount of sprinkles into batter. Pour batter in 1/4 cup measurements onto skillet and let cook until bubbles form on top, about 2-3 minutes. Flip and cook for 1 minute.
Serve with vanilla glaze or whipped cream with extra sprinkles on top :)

Vanilla Glaze
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tablespoon milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Mix milk, extract and powdered sugar until glaze forms. You may need to add a little more sugar or milk to reach desired consistency. (Again, I needed to add more milk.) Mix into glaze and drizzle on pancakes.




~Alissa

No comments:

Post a Comment